EVENT: 2019 Morel Foray #5
DATE: POSTPONED - Saturday, Jun 1, 2019
(This foray was pushed back from the originally scheduled date of 5-11/12 due to excess snow, closed access roads, and a conflict with Mothers' Day. It is possible it will be further pushed back another week or two, depending on the weather and road conditions, but that decision will be made a week or ten days from the event.)
DESTINATION: Kaibab Plateau
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY:
- You will NOT be able to register for this foray, or any of the other May 2019 morel forays, until just after midnight on May 1.
- On May 1 and May 2, please register for only ONE of the May 2019 forays. That way all members get a better chance at going on at least one trip.
- On and after May 3, you can register for any of the forays that still have space available, or add yourself to the waiting list for those that are full.
- Please make sure that the names of any minor children you are bringing appear in the "Children" field on your registration form.
- Please arrive with a full tank of gas, water, and lunch.
MEETING PLACE: Jacob Lake Inn, Jacob Lake, AZ
MEETING TIME: 9:00 AM
MYCOLOGY SKILL LEVEL: Any
THEME: Fire Morel harvest; only limited instruction. You should take a moment to learn the difference between true and false morels if you've never hunted them before.
PHYSICAL FITNESS LEVEL: Moderate. You should be able to walk 2 miles on uneven ground at 8000 feet of elevation.
VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS: Passenger cars should be able to make the trip, but if there are washouts or mud puddles, they could have trouble. High clearance vehicles are recommended.
EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS: We suggest you bring a basket, soft brush, knife, emergency whistle, cell phone, lunch, snacks, and water. Keep in mind that we will be on a burn site, and your shoes and clothes will become sooty and muddy.
EXPECTED WEATHER: Sunny, 70's.
LODGING: Jacob Lake Inn or Kaibab Lodge. There are also hotels at Marble Canyon, Kanab, and Page. Hotels in this part of the world fill quickly! Do not delay making a reservation.
ALTERNATE DESTINATION: Mogollon Rim (Check your emails on Friday evening by 6:00 pm, in case plans have changed.)
FORAY CAPTAIN: Mike Dechter, (505) 205-0855, email@example.com.
As always, it is possible that no morels or few morels will be found, and you must be prepared for this possible disappointment. It is also possible that high winds, significant snowfall, flooding, thunderstorms, or other unforeseen circumstances may require a foray to be cancelled or brought to an early end.