EVENT: 2019 Morel Foray #4
DATE: Thursday, May 9, 2019
DESTINATION: Mt. Graham, Safford, AZ
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY:
- You will NOT be able to register for this foray, or any of the other May 2019 morel forays, until just after midnight on May 1.
- On May 1 and May 2, please register for only ONE of the May 2019 forays. That way all members get a better chance at going on at least one trip.
- On and after May 3, you can register for any of the forays that still have space available, or add yourself to the waiting list for those that are full.
- Please make sure that the names of any minor children you are bringing appear in the "Children" field on your registration form.
- Please arrive with a full tank of gas, water, and lunch.
MEETING PLACE: Mt. Graham Market, 1000 AZ-366, Safford, AZ
MEETING TIME: 9:00 AM
MYCOLOGY SKILL LEVEL: Any
THEME: Fire Morel harvest; only limited instruction. You should take a moment to learn the difference between true and false morels if you've never hunted them before.
PHYSICAL FITNESS LEVEL: Moderately Strenuous. You should be able to walk 3 miles on steep ground at 9000 feet of elevation. The enormous Frye Fire of 2017, where we will be hunting, is mostly on quite rugged terrain.
VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS: Accessible to most passenger cars, although low-slung vehicles like sports cars and Priuses may have difficulty.
EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS: We suggest you bring a basket, soft brush, knife, emergency whistle, cell phone, lunch, snacks, and water. Keep in mind that we will be on a burn site, and your shoes and clothes will become sooty and muddy.
EXPECTED WEATHER: Sunny, 70's.
LODGING: Hotels in Safford, Willcox, or Globe.
ALTERNATE DESTINATION: Mogollon Rim. (Check your emails on Wednesday evening by 6:00 pm, in case plans have changed.)
FORAY CAPTAIN: Chris May, 480-326-6863, firstname.lastname@example.org. Brown Toyota Tacoma with winch and camper shell, AZ license plate XRAYDOC.
As always, it is possible that no morels or few morels will be found, and you must be prepared for this possible disappointment. It is also possible that high winds, significant snowfall, flooding, thunderstorms, or other unforeseen circumstances may require a foray to be cancelled or brought to an early end. At this point, the forecast calls for warm sunny weather, but you will be notified by a pre-foray email that will go out Friday afternoon if this changes.